Copyrighting is a good way to protect your work, especially when it comes to self-publishing. Though it is important, it is also a very confusing process. Here is some information about copyright in order to make sure your work is properly protected:
- Copyrighting is cheaper and easier to do yourself.
- Copyright costs $35 to online register.
- U.S. copyright law states that copyright exists from the moment the work is created, “without any action taken by the author, the moment it is fixed in a tangible form so that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.”
- You don’t even have to put a copyright notice on your work, though it does ward off potential word thieves.
- You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work.
- (Note that you can register works of visual arts, performing arts, sound recordings, and single serials at the same website.)
If you’re looking fora step-by-step guide on how to copyright your work, PBS MediaShift has one here.